02 July 2015

Vick’s Vapor Rub

Vick’s Vapor Rub was and still is a God-send when the kids or I would get sick. This past spring I noticed some Vick’s plants (plectranthus tomentosa) for sale at the nursery so I thought I would try it. I forget the cost of the plant but it is a perennial so if I can do what I want then the cost would very much be worth it. Plants are growing nice – much better than the other herbs in there.  

I am just beginning to experiment with Essential Oils and natural remedies and I would like to try using my little plant to do so. Naturally I turned to the internet for guidance.  

Several sites mention that the smell is stronger when you crush the leaves. This seems kind of obvious. I personally noticed that when I rub a leaf between my fingers, my fingers then smell of that camphor and menthol aroma.  

Feeling congested? Boil some water. Add some crush leaves to hot water. Inhale the steam. For even better results, place a towel over your head. You will feel your airways open. After you are done, leave the bowl sit out and enjoy the aroma. 

My husband has been feeling a bit congested lately. I did this for him and, while he won’t admit it, he is coughing less and he sounds less congested. 

About Plectranthus tomentosa:
I bought my plants at the nursery at Stauffer’s of KisselHill in Lititz back in the spring so I do not recall the price. Lititz (PA) is in Zone 5 and as such all the plants are suitable for that planting zone.
Post a Comment