27 January 2016

Review: Cat's Claw by Susan Wittig Albert

Cat's Claw (China Bayles, #20)Cat's Claw by Susan Wittig Albert
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was trying to read this series in order. I makes it so much easier even though Susan Wittig Albert is very good normally at having China Bayles explain who is who and bringing the reader up to date. Normally.

I must have missed a book. The last one I read was Spanish Dagger, in which her half-brother Miles was insistent upon searching for answers concerning their father's fatal car "accident." Now all of a sudden, China and McQuaid have two kids: Brian (from McQuaid's first marriage) and now a daughter Caitlin who just kind of showed up in the storyline. Then in a Bayles recap she notes that Caitlin is actually Miles' daughter who came to live with them after her mother drowned and her father was ... wait for it ... murdered!

It seems I have obviously missed a book or two. Actually, I have missed four: Nightshade, Wormwood, Holly Blues, and Mourning Gloria!

Having it told from two different point of views (and voices even - which is a credit to the author) did keep it just disjointed enough that, unlike the other China Bayles books, I did not have the entire plot line figured out until close to the end. While I was correct too in surmising all the crimes and how they tied in with each other, the final chapter was a nice summation.

All in all another great little mystery!

View all my reviews

© Jeanne Ruczhak-Eckman, 2016
Post a Comment